Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: The Magnitude. For those of you who watch the show Community:
The Magnitude is a sandwich built on a homemade pretzel roll the flavours of a jalapeno (pop) popper in mind. Rather than roast the jalapenos however, I quick pickled them (recipe below!), so they maintained a lot of the heat they naturally possess. The result is a crunchy and creamy grilled cheese sandwich with as little or as much spice as you like. If you want to make this and quick pickle your own peppers, the recipe is just below. If not, keep on scrolling......
Quick Pickled Jalapeno PeppersMakes 3/4 cup
Recipe by Bon Appétit
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
pinch kosher salt
4 jalapenos, thinly sliced
1. Whisk together vinegar, sugar, and salt. Add the sliced jalapenos to the mixture, tossing to coat. Let sit for at least 30 minutes before using, tossing occasionally. For deeper flavour, make a day ahead, cover and chill.
Now for the main event!
The Magnitude: Inside Out Pretzel Jalapeno Popper Grilled CheeseMakes 1 Sandwich
1 pretzel roll (DIY: I used a GREAT, easy recipe from The Slow Roasted Italian.)
3 tbsp plain cream cheese, softened
1-3 tbsp panko bread crumbs
Pinch salt, onion powder and fresh ground pepper, to taste
Cheddar cheese, grated (as much as you want!)
Pickled Jalapeno pepper rings (homemade or store bought), to taste
1. Cut the pretzel roll in half, flipping it inside out, so the cut sides are outwards, and the brown part is inside. If you want a flatter sandwich, carve off the "dome" of the bun.
2. Combine the cream cheese, panko crumbs, salt, onion powder and half of your grated cheddar in a small bowl until it becomes spread-like.
3. Assemble! Spread the cheese mixture on one half of the bun. Add as many jalapeno rings as you like, pressing them into the mixture. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over top of the jalapenos. Top with the second bun. Butter the hell out of it. (Extra points if you use garlic butter, ooh baby.)
4. Grill in a pan or on a panini press over medium heat until the outside is golden brown and the inside is melty and delicious.
I Am Jack's Step By Step Photos
1. Cut the buns in half, then cut off the dome section to make a flatter sandwich.
3. Top with the other bun, slather with butter and fry. it. up!
I don't even have another finished picture to show you because I ate this thing so fast.